The
Utah Valley Marathon
I did it! I did it! I did it!
(That pretty much sums it up,so no offense taken if you stop reading there and just scroll through the pics.
But if you'd like to read on...have at it!)
I am not a natural runner, that is FOR SURE. But over the last couple years I have learned to really enjoy it.
And trust me when I say if I could train for this race and do it, ANY of you reading it could too. So hop on it ASAP!

(please don't JUDGE these pics. I had a just run 26.2 miles in the rain..and by no means was I looking at the top of my game)
I was so so so lucky to have my friend Janette come to Utah to run the race with me. She is the most inspirational person. I mean it. Sit and chat with her for just a few short minutes and she may have you convinced to not only run a marathon, but to WANT to run a marathon, like tomorrow.
She motivated and coached me through our training. Thanks Jet!
1. NO TIME GOAL. okay thats sort of a lie, we set a very attainable goal for ourselves. The best part about setting an attainable goal is it still feels great to blow it out of the water, which we did. I was told over and over by people to try your best but not set a time goal for your 1st marathon. My goal was to push myself and do MY BEST...and I can honestly say that I did just that, MY very best.
2. Start slow, frustratingly slow, for the first few miles to conserve energy. Then pick it up gradually to stay steady and finish STRONG! It feels good to pass at the end, NOT be passed.
3. Stop at EVERY aid station for a drink and to refuel. Quick stops, but let me tell you they get you through the next few miles and gives your body just what it needs to finish the race.
4. Stay positive, enjoy the experience, and FINISH regardless of the obstacles that may come.
And I have to say that was THE BEST game plan, it worked like a champ.
Besides the rain, it was a beautiful course. I was lucky enough to have Janette AND my uncle and cousins on the course. I got to run a lot of the race with Janette and my cousin Tyler and his wife, Hilary. Having them to talk to and encourage each other was SO nice. I loved getting to know Hilary and hear everyone's "how you met your spouse" stories. Whatever makes the time go by, right??
I also enjoyed my time alone to enjoy the moment, enjoy the beauty and to focus on the task at hand.
By mile 20 when I was expecting to hit THE WALL you hear about, instead I was feeling great (CONSIDERING!), and as I was coming out of the Canyon Paul and Brig were waiting to cheer me on.
That was the defining moment of the race for me.
That little encouragement, to see them and to feel their support was just what was needed and then I was set to go, to finish.
The last 6 miles are history, they were challenging of course but I had the energy that I needed and I knew I was almost there.
My biggest obstacle was my watch was off somehow so when I thought the last dreaded .2 miles was there I sprinted to the finish line...but then THERE WAS MORE, my watch was off. But somehow I mustered up the energy to go .2 more miles and I crossed the finish line, and boy was it great to see all these people waiting to cheer me on......
I am the luckiest girl to have so much love and support.
It was an amazing experience... obviously a physical challenge pushing my body to its limits. But even more it was a mental challenge, pushing through those moments when your body is fatigued and telling yourself you can do anything for a few hours.
Thats where the marathon theme really played in for me...
Pain You Enjoy
But the most impact this race had on me was in a spiritual way that I will never forget. Because trust me there were LOTS of prayers going through my mind that morning, and let me tell ya
they.were.answered.
and YES I will do one again...but not for awhile :)
13 comments:
t way to go girl. im so impresed! after doing an half i still dont have an desire to do more...mabey in a few years, who knows. im so proud of you and glad that paul and the kids got to be there to cheer you on.
Hey! Great minds think alike! I've been trying to post my marathon blog for a while now but my internet is being sticky for some reason. (Or maybe it has to do with the fact that it is SOOOO stinkin' long!) You did a nice job on the summary and I really enjoyed reading it and learning how the marathon left it's mark on you. While everybody's experiences are somewhat similar, they are very unique and it causes those of us who've done it before to reflect...and those of us who haven't to be inspired! You give me far too much credit...it was I that was inspired by you. You did so amazing and I'm so proud of you! Oh, and can I just say for the record...that you had a good 10 minutes of recovery in that pic of you and me together, and I had just crossed. So, in my mind, you're not looking so bad!
Wow Trisha! That is amazing. I wish I had the determination to run a marathon, but it seems so daunting and running is SO hard for me:) How did you train for it? How long have you been training? You're definitely an inspiration!!!!
Way to go Trish!!!! I told Sean I'm going to start training for a half marathon after the baby...we'll see if that happens ha ha I am DEFINITELY not a natural runner! I get shin splints so easily that usually after about 15 minutes, I get mad and sore and get on the elliptical ha ha you're my inspiration!! p.s. my husband can't even believe you've had three kids :) i was showing him your blog the other day and he said, "Are those all hers? No way she had three kids!" ha ha
Way to go Trish! Very inspiring!
That is amazing!! I almost cried hearing when you saw Paul and Brig cheering you on. What an awesome feeling. You go girl!!
Atta girl, what an accomplishment! Seriously...whats next...triathilon? Im proud of ya:)
How awesome Trisha! Congrats on setting a lofty goal and really following through!
Wow!!!! I am in awe!!!! you are awesome and I admire your determination. I am pretty sure I could never do that! Great job friend!!!!
Way to go Trixta! I can't even imagine running that far, let alone around the block..hee hee. So proud of you and your awesome accomplishment! You've gots skillz! It was so fun to get to see you and the kids and even be graced by Paul's presents :) Thanks for the games and next time let's take a pic!
...and I can't even motivate myself to run one mile
woot! woot! congrats on your first marathon...one of many, i'm sure. :)
You're awesome Trish! What a great accomplishment- Way to go Girl!!
Post a Comment