I have been anxiously awaiting this morning to see who John McCain picks as his running mate for the election, so I was surprised this morning to hear that it was Sarah Palin, Alaska Governor. I hadn't heard her name in the VP speculation and I really don't know much about her. Here is an article that I read about the VP decision, that talks about Palin http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/

I have to say I was hoping for Romney, but unfortunately McCain probably knew that he would lose with Romney on the ticket. I was praying that he didn't pick Lieberman, considering his much debated "conservative" (haha) beliefs. But from what I have read so far Palin sounds very conservative and is a mother of 5 (her youngest is only a year old baby with down syndrome).
This is a interesting election in so many ways. I wonder how much of John McCain's decision had to do with wanting a woman on the ticket, so that he could "make history" too. Only time will tell what will happen.
I watched Obama's speech last night at the Democratic Convention and to say the least I was pretty frusterated.
I would love to know what you all know about Palin
or think about McCain's VP Pick?
13 comments:
I like that she seems to be a TRUE conservative. But we were talking about this this morning at work and it's a little un-nerving to have a VP with such HUGE home responsibilities. What if McCain dies in office (face it, it could totally happen). Can the mother of a special needs child really be an effective president AND a good mother simultaneously?
Plus, I am sick of people trying to get votes just because they are minorities (whether it be racial, or gender).
Surprising, Alaska is not a swing state and it looks like he decided to match the Demos black candidate with a women running mate. All reports on her seem positive, she may make a better Pres. than McCain if something does happen. Mitt was out of the picture, McCain and his mom are anti-mormon, it would have only been an act of desperation. Overall: McCain OH-Hmmm I wish we had a true conservative and a sold family values man.
I'll be honest, I was keeping up with all this election stuff for a while, but now I'm just frustrated and bored of it all, so I don't follow any of it. I truly don't care about this election because I don't like either candidate, so I was absolutely uninformed about VP candidates. I wish we could turn back time and redo this whole thing with a clean slate, new presidential candidates please!
I think it's a brilliant choice. I was sort of hoping for her but thought it was unlikely, so I'm excited!
John Mccain made a really genius choice I think....He chose to take some of Hillary's votes, he chose to make a statement that will reinvigorate Conservatives, Women, the media and some democrats.
- A Woman who is a devoted wife
- Mother of 5 (her youngest is 5 months and has down syndrome.)
- Son in the military- NRA member
- Reformed a corrupt Republican party in Alaska, and removed members of her own party.
- Serves as Governor of Alaska with a 90% approval rating
- Has visted Iraq more times than Obama, and he is running for President!
- She cut her own pay while in office. As mayor, and governor.
- A Fiscal conservative who has SPENDING under control.
- Wont waste tax payers money, supports drilling in Alaska to help ease the burden on oil prices, and loves her country.
I didn't think I could be happy with the pick if it was not Romney, but I actually think this is a better choice for now, and will give Romney the chance to prepare to run in 2012.
I agree with all of you. The more I have been hearing throughout the morning is positive, and yes I agree that it was a smart move. I am with my Dad, it's too bad McCain isn't more conservative but at least he got a conservative running mate.
I really don't like McCain at all (but I don't like Obama more so I am happy that he at least chose someone we can respect, at least she seems to be. I think it just might help him win.
I wish it her running for Pres. I am really impressed with her and think he made the smartest move he could have. I guess it's her choice to be a working mom and she'll figure out a way as she has done in the past. I do feel for the kids,although what is wrong with having the dad be the full time caregiver. I must say her hubby is kind of a cutie!! :)
PS and she reminds me of Tina Fae (Sp??)
ditto, mary. i think that it's going to take some people a little while to get used to her because she's fairly unknown. i'm impressed. there's nothing worse for liberal women voters than a conservative woman in the white house. how dare mccain steal their thunder? did you see her little girl with the tiara? lol! i like the fact that they look like a real family. her husband is a blue collar oil worker in alaska. they are not politicians per se. they are real washington outsiders. i'm excited to see how everything plays out. i am sympathetic to the fact that she is the mother of a beautiful down syndrome baby that she let live. many of her opponents would have aborted a baby with the same disability. i read that she is a very involved mother & the baby goes with her to work. this nomination has had to have turned the feminists around & around. she is what they've been advocating for, right? a successful working mother breaking the glass ceiling into a billion pieces. go gop!!
ps, as the mother of a child with a disability yes, it can be very difficult to juggle all of one's responsibilities but with a strong, supportive family base to help i believe it can be done.
I like what I've heard about her so far. I'm excited for her and McCain. I bet Hillary is so ticked off after that announcement!
When I first heard the speculation on Friday morning that it would be her I wasn't too enthused. I couldn't see what a less-than one term governor from a small state could do for the McCain campaign. I also wondered how the mother of an infant could possibly participate in a Presidential compaign. I don't think McCain would have picked her if Obama had picked Hillary. He is clearly going for the female vote. I agree with Jana, I am kind of sick of the gender, race, religious voting block thing. Just give me a qualified, conservative candidate and I will vote for him/her.
All that said, the more I learn about Sara Palen the more I like her. She is bright and articulate and not afraid to stand up to the status quo. I still don't love McCain, but she makes him look better to me.
trish, i just posted a recipe for you. i wanted to make sure you saw it :)
Post a Comment