Monday, January 12, 2009

13.1 Miles...

I DID IT...
I ran my first 1/2 marathon race this weekend!
It was great, so great.
A few months ago a gal in my ward, Lisa, told me that she was going to train for a 1/2 marathon and was trying to recruit other girls to train with her.
I literally laughed at her and told her I was NOT a runner and there was no way. I had never run more than about 3 miles at a time and hated running! Then later that night I got to thinking, and I decided I would start the training program with them but was not convinced I would be able to do the race in only about 3 months.
And here I am now and I DID IT...and I have actually learned to LOVE running.
Who woulda guessed??
Saturday Morning BEFORE the race
Julie, Lisa, Yours Truly, and Jenny
Our running group, we wish Mandy could have been there too, but she was too far along pregnant to make it.
The Start/Finish Line...the race was in Irvine, Ca and there were 5,000-6,000 people running it...it was crazy!

I didn't get a picture RIGHT after the race, but it was amazing to cross the line...in fact, a bit overwhelming. I was exhausted and my knees were throbbing and my legs felt like they were going to fall off...but I didn't even care, all I wanted was lots and lots to drink and to call Paul to tell him I did it. It took a minute to realize that I had really accomplished it, my goal was to RUN the entire thing and I did.
(This pic was maybe 20 minutes after the race, just taking a breather)

Julie & I
(we ran together most of the race)

This says it all...whaoo, yippee, I DID IT, i did it, I DID IT!
Jenny Celebrating

Lisa Celebrating!

We were so lucky to be able to stay at Lisa's mother-in-law's beautiful beach house in Huntington Beach. So once we got back, SHOWERED and took a little break we headed out for some yummy lunch (we were STARVING) and to check out the beach.

Lisa and Me

Jenny and Me

That night we went to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner...this dessert was my REWARD.....mmmm, delicious!
After dinner we headed to the grocery store for some Tylenol and Ice and then back to the beachhouse to catch up on our sleep! :)
It was such a great trip, and I am so lucky to have had that group of girls to run with, we pushed eachother and the only thing that got me out of bed when my alarm went off at 4:50 am all those mornings to run was knowing that they were waiting, and ready to run.
We said we should make this yearly tradition...so we'll see!
(Thanks Paul for letting me "get away" for the weekend to do this, I appreciate you taking care of the kiddos)

19 comments:

jenny said...

lol! you ROCK! did you finished that cake yet? :)

laura said...

That is so awesome! And you look great!! I bet that feels so good to accomplish a huge goal. Way to go running the whole way!

JaMie HeApS said...

way to go girls!!!!!!!1 i am so impressed!!! i always hear how people learn to love to run it just never seems to happen to me. mabey if i had a crew like you guys to run with i would. glad you got to hit the beach and cheese cake factory two of my fav. spots.

Mary and Ryan said...

Good work girls!! That is no small deal. 13 miles is sooooo far. Im impressed.

jeannie said...

Good job girlie! Looks like so much fun and I'm so proud of you for doing it! AH the beach looks like heaven right now!

Kinsey said...

Way to go!! That's amazing and inspirational!

Jana said...

I am so proud of you! love your face!

Marianne Henderson said...

I am so proud of you!

Aubrey said...

Way to go, Trish! You're the Woman!

Cori Henderson said...

That is so awesome, I hope I am able to accomplish that sometime this year! I can't believe you got up at 4:50 a.m. to run every morning! CRAZY!! That's amazing! You look so cute by the way in your pics.

Stacie said...

t i'm so proud of you

Anonymous said...

Talk about Wonder WOman!!! Way to go!!!! And i complain when I do my little 45 minute jog around my neighborhood ha ha! I better look that good after two kids :)

Jewels said...

trish i really cant believe that you did that. Im so proud of you. And you look so dang good hon. Hope you come to Utah soon so we can get together again. Love ya!

Ciji & 4 kids said...

You are so freakin skinny! What's up?

The Cannons said...

13YEAH!!! I knew you could do it!! How fun for you. Looks like it was an all around beautiful day. Way to go!!

The Cannons said...

YEAH!!! I knew you could do it!! How fun for you. Looks like it was an all around beautiful day. Way to go!!

The Cannons said...

YEAH!!! I knew you could do it!! How fun for you. Looks like it was an all around beautiful day. Way to go!!

Elise said...

YAY!! I'm SO proud of you Trish!! You're my inspiration!!!! Looks like you all are having a blast- LOVE the ladybug birthday, and all the fun from new years. Give everyone a squeeze for me!!!

Heather O. said...

You're amazing!